Wanting to find that perfect staple recipe for making a lemon cake? Here it is! Great for vegans and those who simply love cake. We tried it when Michelle baked it at our Vegan Coffee Morning and we instantly fell in love…
As it’s vegan using no animal products it’s eco-friendly too!
Prep Time: 20 mins
Baking Time: 45-50 mins
Serving Size: 8-12 people
- 450g (1lb) plain flour
- 2tsp baking powder
- 1sp bicarbonate of soda
- 300g (11oz) caster sugar
- 125 ml (4.5fl oz) sunflower oil
- Finely grated zest of 3 lemons
- Juice of 3 lemons + enough water to make 300ml (1/2 pint)
- 175g (6oz) soya spread
- 500g (1lb 2oz) icing sugar.
- Pinch of salt
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 170’c (325’F), gas mark 3. Grease cake tin with sunflower oil and dust with flower. Line the base with a baking parchment.
- Sift flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda in a bowl and mix in the sugar. In a separate bowl mix together the other ingredients. Add these to the dry ingredients and stir well until mixture comes together.
- Pour batter into prepared tin and bake for 45-50 minutes. The cake should be springy and when a skewer is inserted it should come out clean.
- Allow to cool in tin for 10 minutes. Remove the cake from the tin and stand on a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Meanwhile make the frosting. Place all ingredients in a large bowl and mix together with a hand held beater or food mixer. Whisk for 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Once the cake cools down, slice it horizontally in half. Put the bottom half on a plate and spread some of the frosting over it (about 5mm thick). Place top half of the cake on top and spread the frosting over the cake.
- And you’re done! Enjoy your zingy lemony slice.
Accredited to Michelle who baked this lovely cake using the brilliant Rachel Allen’s Cake book.